Subject: [Leica] DMC-FX7
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 16:37:21 2004

One of our colleagues mentioned the new Panasonic digital DMC-FX7. Here's
Steve's take on it:

Bottom line - Panasonic's Lumix DMC-FX7 is a nice little digital package.
This is a point-n-shoot that can be used by any member of the family. Its
Simple
mode will be great for the kids, and when Mom or Dad are ready, they can
simply rotate the mode dial to "Normal" mode or choose one of the 9 creative
scene
modes. With a street price of around $500, its a bit expensive. For the
price
I would consider taking a look at Casio's 5-megapixel Exilim EX-Z55 at about
$50 less or Sony's 5-megapixel CyberShot P100 which can be had for about
$100
less.
----------------------------------
Also our colleague in passing referred to the CL as a beastly little camera.
Gotta take issue with that opinion. Rather than go into a detailed analysis
why I think that characterization is debatable, I would suggest to him that
familiarity with the CL breeds great respect for the prowess of the CL's
lenses,
its precision film plate, its bright viewfinder, all add up to top quality
images. Yes, the CL requires real knowledge, not casual use. But when you
hear
that focal plane shutter fire, "How sweet it is!"

Bob R