Subject: [Leica]cleaning slides ???
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Dec 16 04:43:21 2004

Ruben,
Yes, there is a better way.  Obtain a bottle of PEC-12 from a large
photography supply house; this is a ester/ether combination that will
remove oily and aqueous smudges without damaging your emulsion.  See:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&;
InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=pec-12&image.x=6&image.y=
6

or:

http://tinyurl.com/7ylv2

So, what I do for those disgustingly abused images is first, blow off
all the old nasties that are loose.  Then I spray a cotton swab with the
PEC-12 and very gently go over both sides of the film, rotating the swab
often.  Sometimes the goo is thick enough that I have to do this several
times.  Last, I blow off the film one last time to remove any cotton
fibers.

Enjoy, PEC-12 has a nice ester smell that is almost pleasant and will
not kill your liver in twenty years.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com