Subject: [Leica] Photogs in...
From: saganicc at MSKCC.ORG (Saganich, Christopher/Medical Physics)
Date: Wed Dec 15 15:44:28 2004

I recently moved about a gig of scanned images from old zip discs to my
current computer hard drive.  I have no doubt those zip discs will last as
long as the 8tracks, old cassettes and records stored in the basement.  What
I'm curious about is where they will end up 100 years from now.

A close friend did her Masters using a box of negatives and snapshots she
recovered from a neighbor who was cleaning out an old house they just
bought.  In this box was a story of a person's life in photographs;
birthdays, weddings, relatives, etc.  Images taken mostly by that person I
suspect and her husband.  They both had a great eye for composition and
their photographs will live on well into the next generation and beyond,
such as paintings tend to do.  It is only the material existence of
photographs which can elevate the common and mundane to supernal importance
in the wake of the great flux in politics and technology.  The lack thereof
almost ensures oblivion.  Negatives have more of a chance of escaping
oblivion then digital files.  When my wife tries to figure out how to
archive digital images her only realistic recourse is to make a print of
every shot she made.  Otherwise their meaning and potential remains locked
up.   And as time goes by the potential decays; faster for digital files
then for negatives and prints.  Only a print can retain material importance
for any significant amount of time.

Is it Friday yet?

Chris Saganich