Subject: [Leica] Photogs in...
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Dec 15 10:57:34 2004

> I realize that you hate the idea of the film age coming to an end, and
> will go
> down kicking, screaming, and defending Solms and film to the end. But at
> least
> base your arguments on some sort of asthetic principle, rather than on the
> misconception that everything shot in digital is ephemeral and will
> disappear
> in three days. I just ain't any longer so.
>
> B. D.

In part this is true. Maybe I hate the idea of the film age coming to an
end ... I'm not real sure. I haven't devoted that much energy to it.

I do have an expensive DSLR ... gathering dust much like others' film
cameras gather dust when digital comes into the picture. I often wondered
why and I really should use it more, but I don't. I guess I have it there
to keep up, but not get carried away.

But there are other reasons to use film. I myself left the US in 1976,
that's 28 years ago. I've carried every single negative I ever took around
with me. I have hundreds of rolls. It's kind of nice to go back to them.

My PhD, however, written digitally (LaTeX) is gone ... poof. (It is
published though ... and the need for a revised second edition is slim,
very, very, slim :) ).

I won't go down kicking and defending anyone. Solms didn't even exist when
my Leicas were made and purchased.

I will keep using film though. Because I like it. No other reason. I just
like it.

I _will_ try to use digital more. I _think_ the reason I don't use the
DSLR is that it is too bulky to carry around. I walk around with a Leica
all the time. Just like a purse. All the time. The DSLR isn't good for
that. My daughter's (used to be mine) little Canon Powershot is a blast
though. It could easily compete with my Leicas if I could manage to keep
it a secret that I had one. I inherited her old one and zip ... my wife
took it off my hands.

Best,
Daniel

PS: My paw this week was digital