Subject: [Leica] Photogs in...
From: bdcolen at MIT.EDU (B D Colen)
Date: Wed Dec 15 10:47:40 2004

Emanuel wrote...
"For me, that's reason enough to cry out for archival
processes and to continue to reject the ephemeral
nature of this "digitally abbreviated world."

----
That would make sense, Emanuel, were it not true that a cheap printer like
the
HP7690 can produce black and white prints with a guaranteed life-span of, I
believe, 118 years - which is longer than traditional black and white
processes.

As to what you will now say about negatives - I'd be willing to bet that
there
isn't surviving negative that can be matched with 1 in 1000 of those prints
at
the death camps in Europe or Cambodia. Most people throw their negatives in a
drawer somewhere where they are lost, destroyed, or forgotten - and I'll be
some just plain toss them.

I realize that you hate the idea of the film age coming to an end, and will
go
down kicking, screaming, and defending Solms and film to the end. But at
least
base your arguments on some sort of asthetic principle, rather than on the
misconception that everything shot in digital is ephemeral and will disappear
in three days. I just ain't any longer so.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Photogs in...)
Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Photogs in...)