Subject: [Leica] Re: What happened to the Leica link that looked up whether ablack camera was authentic?
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Wed Dec 15 10:19:38 2004

> >It is a bit of an anorak idea but one thing I noticed
> > is that there seem
> > to be batches of black or coloured cameras which are
> > not in the
> > official records.
>
> Hi Frank:
>
> I am unfamiliar with your usage of the word "anorak."
>
> In the original Inuttituut (Eskimo language), the word
> simply means "clothing." Anoraga = my clothes,
> anoratiit = your clothes, anorapiuruit = beautiful
> clothes, etc. In Canadian English, the word is now
> used as a generic term for a style of hooded pullover
> light jacket.
>
> What does it mean to you?
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Monteal

Anorak: item of clothing commonly worn by trainspotters, birders/twitchers,
people who collect airliner serial numbers at airports (and, presumably now,
by extension, people who collect and verify serial numbers of different
leica painted models).

A common term as in "Martin Parr is a bit of an anorak really" (he collects
Saddam Hussein watches, peculiar postcards, strange obscure photo books
etc - as well, one of his earliest pix is perhaps a self referential b&w
photo of an actual Twitcher in an anorak Pagham Harbour)

So to say someone is a "bit of an anorak" or "it's a bit of anorak idea"
implies the above.

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Re: What happened to the Leica link that looked up whether ablack camera was authentic?)
In reply to: Message from lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi) ([Leica] Re: What happened to the Leica link that looked up whether a black camera was authentic?)