Subject: [Leica] 50 Summilux - "dreaded collapsible hood"
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Thu Dec 9 08:12:25 2004

On Dec 9, 2004, at 12:31 AM, Matt Morgan wrote:

> What is it about this hood that is disliked? I've seen this mentioned
> a few times in the past.
> I have this lens, and I don't really think about the hood. It's
> similar to my 75mm Lux.
> Am I missing something technical?
> Matt

It can't be locked into place, so it collapses with the slightest bump,
offering
zero protection. This is a real problem if you are on a shoot and are
juggling
several cameras. It is only a matter of time before the front element
gets wacked
by another body. I ended up getting a screw-in hood from the Contax
series
for mine. The collapsible hood on the ASPH version can be locked into
place.

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                    2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com