Subject: [Leica] 50 Summilux
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Wed Dec 8 23:01:32 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 10:20 PM, Frank Filippone wrote:

> I wasn't paying attention when this was a topic of interest.  I have
> searched the archives, but have not been able to find the reference....
>
> Were there 2 versions of the lens, one that focused closer than the
> other?
> Which is which?  What is the closer distance?

There are a total of four versions of this lens:

v01 - 1959-61 (1,645,300 - 1,844,000)
The original version was only made for about 2 years and is the
shortest lived Leica lens. It utilized a different optical design, than
the later versions. Performance is a step above the Summarit, but not a
huge leap. This version focused to 1 meter. Clip on hood.

v02 - 1962 - 94 (1,844,000 - ???)
The optical design was recalculated and remained in production for 40
years, until the arrival of the ASPH version. Over the years there are
differences in coatings and manufacturing tolerances, but they all seem
to perform the same. Puts claims this version (v02) and v03 perform as
a Summicron v03 opened up a stop. Based on my experience with the Lux,
Cron-DR and Cron v04 I tend to agree with him. V02 has a clip on hood
and focuses to 1 meter.

v03 - Summilux-M (1995-2004)
Same optical design as v02 but now focuses as close as .7 meters,
instead of 1 meter. Newer coatings and the dreaded collapsible hood.

v04 - Summilux-ASPH (2004)
The best 50 on the planet? Focuses to .7 meters.

I have a v03 and like it very much. The ability to focus to .7 meters
is very handy. The Lux doesn't have the hard high contrast look of the
current Summicron and trails it in corner performance wide open, but by
f5.6/f8 they are pretty much equal. I would place it in-between the
Summicron-DR and current Summicron.

BUT this lens has the 'Leica glow' in spades. It's a real bokeh
machine, renders butter-smooth tonal ranges and I think it's better
than the Noct at f1.4. It also has a very short focus throw and is
surprisingly light and compact. Here are a few examples I shot with
mine:

http://www.elanphotos.com/ElanFotos/archive/people/pages/dad.htm
http://www.elanphotos.com/ElanFotos/archive/people/pages/balance.htm

feli