Subject: [Leica] Residual Dinosaurs and Canine Fodder
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Sun Dec 5 16:38:34 2004

Marc James Small wrote:

> The problem is with COOKED poultry bones, which are brittle and can cause
> substantial damage to a dog.
And cats too!!
  Raw bones are not a problem.

> I have three dogs.  Two of them, an Ecru Lab and a Border Collie, chase
> birds all the time and manage to catch a pigeon or dove ever three or four
> days.  They seem to ignore the grackels -- I guess that these must have a
> poor taste to the canine tastebud.  (There is a rich tradition of Europeans
> and Americans hunting pigeon for the table, but I suspect that crows and
> grackels would only appeal to those in the situation of the Donner Party.)
>
> Marc

Marc,
what on earth is a grackel? I've heard of "eating Crow" but never a grackel.
Douglas
BTW
We have plenty of recipes here, from both Germany and the North of England,
for Rook Pie, Baked Rook, Blackbirds (Krammetsv?gel) and the amazing
Yorkshire
Pie - this one has in the middle a partridge which is put into a boned grouse
inside a boned pheasant,inside a boned duck, inside a boned goose. There are
rumours that a swan was used as well but I never found it in a recipe.
I well remember having regularly eaten Rook and Pigeons in the 60's just
before
sowing season (and Rooks again before their mating season). A very tasty
roast
if you wrap it in smoked fat bacon before roasting to stop it drying out.

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Residual Dinosaurs and Canine Fodder)
Reply from msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Residual Dinosaurs and Canine Fodder)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Residual Dinosaurs and Canine Fodder)
Message from msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Residual Dinosaurs and Canine Fodder)