Subject: [Leica] Residual Dinosaurs and Canine Fodder
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Dec 5 16:13:42 2004

At 06:18 PM 12/5/04 +0900, Karen Nakamura wrote:
>>Be careful giving poultry bones to the dog.  If the dog crushes the bone
>>and swallows a part of it, the splintered bone can get lodged in the throat
>>or intestines and require surgery.
>
>I never understood this. Don't dogs eat birds in the wild?
>
>What did wild dogs do before Iams came to their rescue?

Karen

The problem is with COOKED poultry bones, which are brittle and can cause
substantial damage to a dog.  Raw bones are not a problem.

I have three dogs.  Two of them, an Ecru Lab and a Border Collie, chase
birds all the time and manage to catch a pigeon or dove ever three or four
days.  They seem to ignore the grackels -- I guess that these must have a
poor taste to the canine tastebud.  (There is a rich tradition of Europeans
and Americans hunting pigeon for the table, but I suspect that crows and
grackels would only appeal to those in the situation of the Donner Party.)

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] Residual Dinosaurs and Canine Fodder)