Subject: [Leica] Leica Long Lenses on Digital Canon SLRs
From: rdcb37 at (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Fri Dec 3 02:47:38 2004

OK, I see.  Thanks Nathan.  Most of my nature shots are taken wide open
too, or one stop smaller, to keep the shutter speed up.

If I wanted to gauge how the viewfinder would look with Leica lenses
attached would it be reasonable to just go the camera store and look
through a digi Canon with a Canon lens attached, stopping down too to
simulate stop down metering and focussing?  The answer's 'Yes', I'm

Leica's marketing position is that the DMR plus a new R9 will be less
expensive than a top line Canon digi body.  If still true in about a
year when DMRs should be freely available the lack of work-arounds
could make it attractive.  One thing's for sure - it's going to be good
to read user reports on the DMR here.

Did I read that someone on the LUG got their hands on one for a play?
Sorry, I mean some serious prototype testing.  :)

On 03/12/2004, at 9:10 PM, wrote:

> Rick,
> I am finding manual metering to be very viable. In fact,
> aperture-priority works fine as well. Part of the reason why I do not
> have much difficulty is that I shoot mostly at the wide apertures, so
> there is not much change to the way I shoot compared to the Canon
> lenses. If I want to photograph at f16, then it would be more of an
> issue since the viewfinder would go totally dark--in that situation,
> you
> have to compose and focus at wide aperture and then close the lens down
> to take the picture. This is a bit of hassle, I am sure, but on the
> other hand I would only photograph at f16 with the 100mm macro if the
> camera was on tripod, so it is no big deal.
> Nathan
> Nathan Wajsman
> Almere, Netherlands

Replies: Reply from nathan.wajsman at (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Leica Long Lenses on Digital Canon SLRs)