Subject: [Leica] Gene's visit to Poland
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Dec 1 10:23:14 2004

Hi Gene,

The Leica market in Poland is thin to non-existent, based on what I have
seen when going to the occasional camera fair in Wroclaw. Warsaw
probably has one dealer that sells Leica. I would second Douglas's
advice and look in Germany instead. He's right--even with the
disadvantageous exchange rate you might still find some goodies there.

The basic rule of shopping for things in Poland seems to be that
anything produced locally, whether food or clothes or whatever, is cheap
for us Westerners; anything imported from the West (e.g. consumer
electronics or photo gear) is more or less the same as in the West. I
have had my Opel car serviced in Wroclaw the last two winters; the parts
were exactly the same as in the Netherlands, but the labor was much
cheaper, so overall it was worth it. In the same vein, I go to the
dentist when I visit Poland and so on.

Nathan