Subject: [Leica] "review" of Women in Medicine
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 09:39:00 2004

Richard

Nicely put.  Ted and Sandy have a real masterpiece in this book.  I just
purchased a second copy from Ted, which is going to my Lady Doctor.  I
recently learned that she lives right behind me, So I guess I'd better
take care of what I eat out on the back porch. ;-)

Gene

Nah, this is not a review because it is probably more classifiable as a
fan
letter or something.

It is good. The story is engaging, the forward and the introduction gave a

history of the subject, which I as a layman, do not know much about. Then
the photos...

Oh boy, this is what photojournalism is about. You are treated to an
intimate look at scenes with these women doctors. It is almost like it is
movie set where the camera is right there, to show you the actions. Except

that these are not rehearsed actresses, but real people. Make you wonder
how they do it. They are like flies on the walls, with cameras on their
necks. We know what Ted might say, "I just focus and shoot!" Sandy
probably
would say the same. I wish we all can focus and shoot like that.

And the lights. What mastery! I had a chat with a 4x5 landscape shooter
over the weekend after I showed him my portfolio, and we were talking
about
tonal forms, the zone system, Weston and his peppers and all that. This is

not like that. Ted just focuses and shoots - and the shadows on the faces
are just right, and the bright lights don't scream burnt-out highlights.
They are just part of the images. Wow!

I have to say that the equipment fetish in me causes me to notice several
shots with the creamy bokeh signature of the Noctilux. Of course I could
be
wrong in pegging them. No matter, lots to learn from books from this...

Thank you Ted and Sandy.

use richard at imagecraft.com)