Subject: [Leica] PAW 3
From: cmbrow at wm.edu (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Sun Nov 28 14:09:12 2004

We understand very little about these 'eggs' at present.  They do not
appear to be organic, though there may be a clay slip over an actual
goose egg shell.  The Arabic characters are incised into the surface and
are almost certainly prayers, as "Allah" seems a repetitive motif.  The
style of the decoration suggests a West African origin, though this is
speculation.  Low-res x-ray reveals that they contain something metallic
(and they rattle when shaken); we'll know more when they return from
various x-ray and MRI examinations.  There're actually seven of them, a
number that is significant in various African contexts, and we know as
well that there're anthropological reports of similar objects in ritual
use in North and West Africa into the early 20th c..  Dating is also
approximate as we have yet to establish the archeological environment
within which they resided, though we know a bit about the plantation,
its owners, and its slaves. All of this is shaping up to be a pretty
long-term project.

It is a matter of some historical importance to establish the
transmission of Arabic script literacy across the Black Atlantic and to
demonstrate its persistence, no matter how corrupted, among Black Muslim
slaves, of whom we no very little except that they existed.

Cheers