Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 47: Leaving Copenhagen
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Nov 27 21:29:10 2004

Last week I cleaned out my father's apartment and left Copenhagen--not
for the last time, of course I will keep going back there, but it will
always be different. The pictures I post are selected shots from last
weekend and Monday/Tuesday there.

On Tuesday, I finished emptying the apartment. Just before leaving, I
went to each room and took a picture of what was until recently a home.
I don't know if these are meaningful to anyone but me, but in any event,
I have chosen one of them for my main picture. This used to be my
father's bedroom:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_47.jpg

On Saturday it was raining and blowing; I went for a walk in downtown
Copenhagen; this picture is near the old part of the University of
Copenhagen:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_47alt1.jpg

On the main pedestrian street, Str?get, people had parked some bicycles
and the wind did the rest:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_47alt2.jpg
(BTW, alt1 and alt2 are real Leica pictures; when it rains, the M6 is a
better choice than the DSLR)

The weather in Copenhagen is extremely variable this time of year; one
day you have rain and wind, the next day you have bright sunshine (for a
few hours, at least) and cold. Sunday was like that. This shot is from
Kastellet, a defense wall built near the port of Copenhagen in the 19th
century. It never actually played any military role and now serves as a
nice park (the Little Mermaid is nearby):
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_47alt3.jpg

The party street, Nyhavn, has a Christmas market, and the furry set came
out to buy wreaths and other decorations. The smoking grill is put out
by the bar to allow people to warm their hands. From a marketing point
of view this is a good idea, as it makes you stop outside the bar, so
increasing the probability that you will drop in for a drink.
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_47alt4.jpg

And finally, one of the reasons I will keep coming back to
Copenhagen--my childhood friend Beata. Here she is with her baby boy,
trying to convince him to eat something, while he is decidedly unsure:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_47alt5.jpg

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2004.html
and comments and critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands