Subject: [Leica] Sean Reid's R-D1 review
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Nov 26 18:02:10 2004

On 11/26/04 1:56 PM, "Adam Bridge" <abridge@gmail.com> typed:

> I think it's easier for Epson or any of the Japanese camera makers who
> have already done digital in-house, to have done this than it is for
> Leica who feels they are responsible for the optics.
>
> I can hear the whining from this group if Leica had made a digital
> that DIDN'T work with all the Leica M mount lenses. There'd have been
> NO END to the complaining.
>
> Yes, it's definitely too bad that Leica didn't invest immediately into
> the technology to ride the leadership curve. But since when has Leica
> done this? As long as they can count on the collector's market to buy
> lenses and cameras with no regard to how good they really are...well,
> there's no incentive to jump on the very expensive bandwagon.
>
> So now Leica, and users of their lenses, are paying the price. I'm
> doing okay with a hybrid work-flow although I think there's a Nikon
> 5000 in my future. The investment I have in adaptors for that scanner
> will transfer to the new one. I don't have USB2 built into my machine
> so I'll have to buy a card for my PowerMac but those are pretty cheap.
> I'll be interested in scanning the same black and white images on both
> scanners and seeing if there's really a problem with grain aliasing.
> Somehow I seem to have missed that to date.
>
> Adam
>no snippet for some odd reason<

No one certainly not Leica could have predicted the fundamental re-Lumi?ring
and  re-Talboting the digital thing could have institgated. And no company
it's size with an interest and image in the completely opposing (low tech)
direction could have afforded to make that leap from the get go.

"I tell you these paper negatives are the best thing since sliced bread!"

"They're soft I tell you and you can must go on making and making them over
and over again like toilet paper I say our sharp one of a kind
Daguerreotypes are the only way to fly!"

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/