Subject: [Leica] digital R question
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Nov 26 07:16:55 2004

You are absolute right, Feli - For the price Leica is charging for part
of a camera, and for all the marketing hype about Leica quality, not
wanting to release a digital product that does not match Leica
standards, etc., of course I wouldn't be satisfied with a product that
doesn't at least match the EOS Mark II in quality. And why should anyone
paying that kind of money for a digital back for a manual focus Leica
SLR be satisfied with images that don't at least match, if not exceed,
the best on the market. To be perfectly frank, anyone who does accept
lesser quality from Lecia is putting the lie to all the rhetoric about
the importance of Leica quality and waiting for Leica digital so that
they could get the best out of their Leica lenses.

No, I don't expect them to leapfrog Canon and all, but if, working with
Imacon, a leading manufacturer of 2 1/4 digital  backs, they can't at
least match the high-end Canons and Nikons, they can't match the best
digital 35s, they don't deserve to survive.

Waiting for them to fall flat on their faces? No. Expecting them to?
I'll be pleasantly surprised if they don't, and I'll be happy for my
friends who have waited for this project to reach completion.

What you really ought to ask yourself is why, other than enjoying
watching Greg Lorenzo have a hissy fit, I'd care one way or another how
this or any other Leica project turns out. After all, my name isn't
Leitz; I don't own stock in the company; I have no connection to
companies that are competing with Leica. Frankly, Feli, I am simply an
owner and user of Leica M equipment who is observing this drama play
out. Unlike a number of you, I have absolutely no emotional investment
in the outcome - one way or the other. I just find all the nonsensical
heated comments about it amusing.