Subject: [Leica] digital R question
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Nov 26 08:47:42 2004

B. D. Colen said:
>> I have absolutely no emotional investment
> in the outcome - one way or the other. I just find all the nonsensical
> heated comments about it amusing.<<<<<<<

Hi B.D.,
Along those lines I feel the same in that I use the camera's simply because
I like the way they work and feel in my hands these many many years. And I
feel without a doubt, have assisted in making me the successful photographer
I am.

However, if Leica were to crash and burn tomorrow I'd not shed a tear. I
would however feel bad for my many friends who'd be affected in losing their
jobs. But I see the company not advancing with the times for whatever
reason. Maybe a hang over from the "old family" who refused to allow any
research into SLR's because old man Leitz was adamant the fad of SLR's would
fade away and photographers would return to Leica RF cameras as soon as the
fad wore off! OOPS!

Quite often we see many folks on the list wringing their hands about this,
that, and every other business stuff with great concern about "what do we do
if Leica were to fail tomorrow, what would we do etc. etc."

When on the surface none of these people have any financial attachment to
the company. Nor sure as hell do not have a seat during the weekly board
meetings. Nor do they spend $25,000 a year buying gear for their own
photographic survival.

I suppose if Leica goes down the tube we'll forever have Leica's anyway. But
more important if one is into the "economic value... IE:: collector folks
and a crash happens, that will be good for all of us as the value will go up
as they'll all become a relic of the past therefore of greater monetary
value! ;-)

This latest digital back delay, sounds like the R8 etc in the past and the
motor drive/winder that came in 3 years after the camera was announced. Much
of this has to be laid at "bad management." OK and lack of money, but then
doesn't this go back to poor management judgement?

I don't have any axe to grind about Leica as their camera's have served me
extremely well over the years, however I'm not going to lose any sleep over
a company that doesn't appear to be able to "move with the times" before the
time leaves them behind. And in the case of the digital back they're still
in the barn figuring out how to get the horse to the starting gate. :-)

No I don't want them to fail, crash & burn or anything bad like that.
Because, as I said, that'll affect a number of my friends for their daily
bread. But when things are promised and delayed, then again and again it
surely makes one wonder who's running the shop?

Particularly when other camera manufactures are down the track almost to the
finish line.

ted

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] digital R question)