Subject: [Leica] Digital back
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Wed Nov 24 16:07:34 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 11:08 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:

> Well, Feli -
> 1. I don't see color fringing around thin tree branches or visible
> moir?
> problems in the $240 throwaway digital p&S I bought my wife for
> Christmas two years ago. And I certainly don't see them in the images I
> get from my E-1 - or the images I got from my E20

Look closer.

> 2. What's the big deal about being able to adjust sharpening level in
> camera? I'll save you having to reply - there is none. All the major
> cameras offer it -as to many of the point and shoots.

Some manufacturers don't give you the option and set a minimum default.
I'm glad to see Leica is leaving it up top the shooter to decided what
they want as a final image.

> 3. Highlights not being clipped is a feature of exposing properly, not
> some magic in the firmware.

Not entirely. It's a combination of both. Sigma has big problems with
this until they fixed their RAW converter etc. Compare the output of
several RAW processors and you'll see differences in quality.

> 4. I should hope there's no noise in the blacks at 100 iso, or at 400
> for that matter if properly exposed.

So, would I.

> The bottom line is that this is a crappy tourist snapshot that could
> have been taken by any mediocre point and shoot set at a low iso, if
> properly exposed. And to top it off, it's a basically evenly lit scene,
> which makes the whole thing even easier to pull off.
>
> The irony, of course, is that if this was an image being offered by the
> Epson folks as an example of the magic worked by the RD-1, all the
> Leicaholics on the list would be raising precisely the points I'm
> raising.

What did you expect? The equivalent of Nick Ut's shot of the Napalm
Girl?
It probably was taken by some factory technician on his lunch break.

> I'm not saying that this is a bad digital image - I'm just saying that
> it neither proves, nor even hints at, virtually anything.

Which is what every other company does. Kodak previewed crap pics that
showed all kinds of technical problems, when they released the DCS14
and it bit them in the ass.

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com