Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Nov 22 23:17:36 2004

The thing is Rick the fact that you have scanned the film at 6144x4096
pixels does not mean that there is meaningful data at this resolution.
In absurdam if the frame was a uniform colour a scan of 1 pixel and a
scan of 6144x4096 pixels will contain the same data and would be
equivalent.
I have not found 35mm print film to have more data on it than my 6
megapixel Canon, whatever scan resolution I chose to use. My scans from
slides have been better but not hugely so.
I am entirely prepared to believe, based on my own experience of prints
from scanned 35mm film and digital SLRs that the 10megapixel R back
will equal 35mm film in resolution. I have heard all the pseudo
technical absurdities about huge sampling rates but none of it actually
agrees with my actual experience of producing my own prints.
Frank