Subject: [Leica] R8 problems?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri Nov 19 16:21:43 2004

> I'm thinking of buying an R camera. Ok, yeah, last week I did say I
> would stop, but but but.........
>
> I do recall someone saying that early R8s also had problems?
> Could someone refresh my memory as to what they are and
> how I can check for them?

One test is to put a winder on the camera.  There were some electronic
incompatabilities between the early R8 bodies and the winders, caused (as I
hear it) by the winder's specs changing as Leica searched for a new
contractor when Eumig went out of business.  Leica typically replaces the
offending electronics in the R8 when problems arise.  Whose dime?  I dunno -
but be sure it's covered by the 6-month guarantee.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com