Subject: [Leica] M4 - M4P - M4-2
From: hans.pahlen at telia.com (Hans Pahlen)
Date: Thu Nov 18 05:00:43 2004

I would get a M4-P, cuz they are newest.
The M4 is most expensive, cuz it also has some collectors value. OTH it is
the nicest camera IMHO, but here I am only nostalgic.
The M4-2 has a reputation of being a problem camera. This is probaly not
true, but this is the reason why they are cheapest.
I would not hesitate to buy one if it is OK.

But, as I said, my advice to you is to get the M4-P.

You can check the shutter condition by listening to the 1/30th. You should
hear a second bouncing sound immediately after the curtain closes. If you
here this, and the lower times sound right, you can trust that the mechanism
is OK. You can check the rangefinder by looking through the viewfinder at a
distant object. Focus should be correct with the lens set at infinity.

In all deals, remember to beat down the price. It is a buyers market for
Leicas, because of the digital boom.

Good luck
Hans