Subject: [Leica] Re: What about the Hasselblads in space?
From: azn at nemeng.com (Andrew Nemeth)
Date: Wed Nov 17 11:05:04 2004

On 18/11/2004, at 4:19 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Collins "dropped" either a SuperWide or a 500c in low Earth orbit
> during a Gemini mission not sure if it is still orbiting but I am sure
> the collective wisdom of the list will know.

Collins talks about this in detail in chapter 8 of his 1974 book
"Carrying
the fire: An astronaut's journey".  He only mentions it was a Hasselbad
though, not what kind it was.

> Lunar Blads had relatively minor modifications and were used without
> any protective housings

Actually there were massive modifications for those cameras used on
the moon's surface - in particular the mirrors were removed, which in
a HBlad requires major surgery (as it completely changes how the lenses
stop down and work).

See these links:

<http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008wYK>

<http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/moon/index.htm>