Subject: [Leica] Re: I finaly did buy one
From: MEB at GoodPhotos.com (Michael E. Berube)
Date: Mon Nov 15 13:21:27 2004

I'll throw in my .02 USD.

Mine is another vote for a 35. While I love my old Summarit 50/1.5, I most
often have a Cosina made Voigtlander 35/2.5 classic (skopar) on my M4P.
With an old leather strap from an LTM Barnack, a black softie from Tom A.
locktited to the shutter release, a Leica mGrip mounted to give me a better
hold on the camera and loaded with Kodak's newest version of Portra 800, I
can
usually 'get the shot' in just about any prevailing light, sans flash or
tripod.

I'm hard pressed to find a finer outfit for 35mm film shooting in my
opinion.
I usually carry this with the LTM Summarit and LTM Elmar 9cm/4 in microfiber
lenscloth type bags. I carry the tiny Olympus S20 for the very rare
occasions
that I am shooting in almost total darkness. When I use a meter, I usually
use
a new DigiSix in incident mode. I hooked the DigiSix to a small keychain
type
carabiner and use it as a watch hanging from my front belt loop as well.

All told the 35/2.5 was the most costly of all of these but now they are
only
$229 from Mr. Gandy's store at www.CameraQuest.com.
Though I rarely use it, the tiny 9cm Elmar cost me about $150 and it is in
nearly perfect operating condition with not even cleaning marks, the
Summarit
cost me $250 or so as I recall. All of this and a few rolls of film fits
very
neatly into a bag I got from EMS which even holds my Tungsten E and
cellphone.

In short, for not a whole lot of money (compared to new Leica glass) you
could
start out with a few very nice lenses to get to know your new M4-2 with
rather
nicely. If you completely fall in love and have the budget later, you can
always upgrade to the newest, sharpest and more costly.

Carpe Lumienm,
Michael Eric Berube
GoodPhotos.com

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:08:10 -0800 (PST), lug-request@leica-users.org quoth