Subject: [Leica] Re: Yet another sign ...
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Mon Nov 15 13:12:05 2004

At 12:09 PM 11/15/2004, EJ Schlup wrote:
> >All the time I have spent in Mississippi I have never
> >been stopped for photographing anything, period. I
> >have photographed heavily down there.

I've been reading this thread with interest.  Here in Albuquerque I'm
shooting on the street every day and no one ever stops me except an
occasional shop-owner who wonders what I'm up to.  The funny thing is that
this is the home of a large nuclear weapon storage facility,  Kirtland AFB,
Sandia National Laboratories (nuclear energy), a huge Intel chip plant, and
Los Alamos Nat'l Lab just up the road a piece.  And then there's the Very
Large Array and White Sands Missile Range to the south.  You'd think
everyone would be jittery as hell but they're not.

I lived in Memphis during the time of the King assassination and
photographed the protest marches there.  I only got stopped once by a cop
who thought my belt-clip-mounted M2 might be a gun.  I have no idea why
photographing protesters should raise a concern these days, but it seems to
strike a nerve in some places.

BTW, I still have that belt clip for M-bodies.  Anyone else remember them?

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108
505-262-4085