Subject: [Leica] Leather Binding
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Mon Nov 15 06:00:55 2004

Buzz Hausner wrote:

>Among other endeavors, I am trained as a hand bookbinder.  I can assure
>you that to have a proper leather binding done for "This Is Our Work,"
>with a minimum of decoration, would cost in excess of four hundred
>dollars.  There are many things that masquerade as "fine" bindings which
>are not and cost a good deal less.  If you wish to have extensive gold
>tooling done on the binding or to have colored leather on-lays applied,
>the cost can soar to astronomical levels.  If you want the binding
>designed and executed by one of the better known binders at work today,
>you can expect to pay in the low five figures (to the left of the
>decimal point).
>
>       Buzz Hausner

Buzz-
Sheesh! I am in the wrong line of work! :o)
Is there that much of a demand for that sort of thing? I had figured
that the quest for quality like that was even less prevalent than that
looked for by the LUG!
It gives me a healthy respect for my old leather bound volume (It seems
a lot of old books were thusly covered!)  from 1817- "La Baume's
Definitive Narrative of Napoleon's Campaign in Russia" . The inscription
declares it was bought originally for 14 shillings, New York money.... I
wonder what that would be in todays currency?
Dan

Replies: Reply from buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner) ([Leica] Leather Binding)