Subject: [Leica] Was ....SUMMILUX 50/1,4 Asph
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Sun Nov 14 08:50:33 2004

1976, was an interesting year!
That year I decided that doing photography was an irrelevant and trifling
activity. I still had plenty of time left on my G.I. Bill. As photography,
to me back then, was just another 99/100 monkey occupation, I decided to use
the benefits before they expired.
Like any other semi literate person, I thought that the academic field of
art history/criticism was a natural extension of the applied arts
themselves. Was I wrong!
By now, most of the list knows of my almost pathological distaste for the
field, and of its scurrilous practitioners. It wasn't that I had a
traumatizing experience from that contact. It just became immediately
apparent, within the scope of one full time semester, that screeching
simians tossing leaves over their heads on the jungle floor were involved in
a more relevant activity.
Within the area of the secular study of religion, earthquakes were taking
place in parallel with society's eruptions. As the societal landscape was,
and still is, consistently being torn apart, no other area seemed as capable
of grasping the subtext  like this field of study. I think I came out of it
a better photographer.
Yep, 1976 was an interesting year!
S. Dimitrov