Subject: [Leica] Epson RD-1 (initial user experience).
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Nov 12 12:19:13 2004

On 11/12/04 7:35 AM, "Ian Watts" <i.watts@virgin.net> typed:

> Hans Pahlen wrote:
>>
>> There is one thing I am qurious about. And this is the 1,5 crop factor.
>> Suppose you attach a 35mm lens to this camera, what frames show up in the
>> finder? Are the frames now corresponging to the result you will get, i.e.
>> ~50mm?

Have done a lot of shooting this year with a 28 1.4 and 28 2.8 of the Leica
N serious digital cameras (Nikon)

As you indicate you end up with a 42.

Boy that 42 feels good!

Gets into all those hard to reach places yet still has some legs.

That fact that 1.25 mm's away from true normal if you go by the diagonal
theory might be the slightly metaphysical reason.

That true "normal" diagonal being 43.2666.

13 days ago at the Leica historical society meeting in Williamsburg it was
the Sunday swap meet and I picked up a 40mm Summicron Wetzlar. Quite a cult
lens!
So now I can get this wider but truer to normal mode of shooting with my
film shooting that I've been enjoying shooting all year digitally.

I disagree with your thing implying your 1.5 mag factor makes wide angle
shooting:

> . However, I would suggest that those who shoot mainly with wide lenses
> will
find the RD-1 less useful

> ), I'm not going to lose sleep over the
> fact that the RD-1 is not the ideal shooting tool for wide lenses.

I've been shooting for over a year digitally with the ever present all
knowing 1.5 factor and about the first thing I did and every photographer I
know did is to increase the anti in the wide angle division so I'd come out
even.

The widest lens I had for 2 decades shooting Nikon was a 24. Only once did I
maybe need somthin wider.

When I went Leica M in the 90's I succumbed to the lure of the 21mm focal
length. A long classic focal length for the Leica system.
And got use to having that option.

So about the first thing I did when I got bit by the digital bug was to go
out and get a 14mm Nikor restoring my 21mm shooting abilities.

If I get into Leica M digital I'd get Leicas new 18 if that is the number
which would get me at least to 24mm.
Or get the Cosina 12 which gives me a crop able 18mm
Or 15 which brings me to 22.5mm.
I forgot which of those doesn't work very well on the R1D1.
But if not one then the other.

So the 1.5 factor has gotten me even MORE into the world of ultra wide as
I've never had a 14 before.
And my 14 WILL cover film.
It is one impressive hunk of a crystal ball of glass.

Now so the 12-24mm I also got which translates to 18-35mm's.
Which is a wide to ultra wide shooters dream.
Sigma makes a 12-24 which covers film.
Wow!

Perhaps Leica should have them send over a thousand units, pick out a
hundred and put a red dot on them! Like they've done in other cases with
Sigmoid.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon