Subject: [Leica] DMR: Hands on
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Nov 12 10:34:53 2004

Frank I know EXACTLY what you're talking about and the answer is: I
don't know and the rep wasn't a software guy. He alluded to a few
other cameras that don't have low-pass filters in the optical path,
but I forget which ones they were.

The example image they used was of a woman in a wedding dress where
the veil, with it's myriad of tiny crossing lines, shows up with all
sorts of rainbow artifacts. With the software filter in place that
vanishes and is replaced by more of a blur. So, perhaps, they are
doing in software what the filter does in the light-path, and
smoothing pixels together in some sort of way, perhaps based
upon...???? Hell, I don't know.

But I think you're right -- they seem to be pushing the "rightness" of
digital sampling.

Adam