Subject: [Leica] SUMMILUX 50/1,4 Asph
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed Nov 10 09:23:02 2004

Welcome to the Internet, John.  A place where one data point becomes a
trend in a few keystrokes.  :-)

Seriously, the new 50/1.4 ASPH has a new mechanism with floating elements.
So there may be some issues with experience of the assemblers or quality
control, where they need to learn from a mistake or two.  And according to
Leica's sacred texts, their manufacturing tolerances are more precise than
the average bear's.  So it's possible that it's a bit easier for something
to get out of whack if whacked during shipping, etc.

As for having beaucoup bucks tied up in a lens that is still at the
factory. . . oh, well, we're in the Leica Universe.  "A place where," as
Mr. Spock said, "our physical laws do not apply." Given Leica's size and
resources, all this is understandable, if not ideal.

While the new 50/1.4 is hideously expensive, the pictures from it we've
seen so far are very, very good.  Even on Web pictures.  I'd love to see
some side by side 11 x 14 prints taken wide open and at f/2 with the old
and new 50 'Luxes and a Summicron.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from hlritter at mindspring.com (Howard L Ritter, Jr) ([Leica] SUMMILUX 50/1,4 Asph)