Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Nov 9 23:42:27 2004

Well Simon,
this is the sort of theoretical presentation that stopped me trying out
digital for a long time. I won't bore you with the history, but I
eventually did. Digital is MUCH more than the number of pixels (for a
photographer anyway). The prints I get from my Digital SLR are
excellent and whilst I am sure the theoretical resolution may not quite
match the very best slow films, for handheld use in variable light the
digital solution is superior. I judge this from prints. I am an
engineer, and I find it useful to reflect on the fact that if theory
and practice disagree, the theory is wrong. The area where film still
beats digital IMHE is dynamic range, but the problem with film is the
difficulty in a real life situation, of exploiting this benefit.
I travel a lot and notice, in people I meet, a profound difference
between people who have travelled the world and those who have not.
Those who have not tend to have a stereotyped (some would say
brainwashed) view of other countries based on the education system in
their own country. Those that have travelled and have seen things for
themselves have a more realistic view of the places they have seen.
The digital- film debate seems to be similar. Those who have not used
digital, and I refer here to digital SLR with reasonable size sensors,
not P&S devices with sensors the size of a fingernail - compare them to
a Minox or 16mm film compact, not a Leica 35mm please, have a quite
different view.
I enjoy using my Leicas but I usually get better prints from my digital
SLR.
Frank

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron)
Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron)