Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 28, Issue 262
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Nov 9 23:51:35 2004

I am really stirring things up here but the best plastics, and I would
think of continuous fibre carbon fibre reinforced epoxy here,  would be
much better than  metal for camera bodies, but nobody would be able to
afford them. I very much regret the adoption of magnesium in the Canon
cameras as its only benefit is to be light, for a metal. It is weak,
flexible and corrosion prone compared to any other metal so there goes
any potential longevity, regardless of digital obsolescence.
Check out the condition of aluminium lenses of the 50s and 60s compared
to the chrome on brass contemporaries. And aluminium is MUCH better
than magnesium.
:-(
Frank