Subject: [Leica] I put some photos on LUG Gallery.
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Nov 7 06:32:26 2004

Tom,
Before I get into comments I want to start with your ability to see
images in places most will pass by is very good.  Second, these first
postings remind me very much of Geebee's (Grahams) first postings.  You
could see the talent, but at first was much unfocused.  Really, this is
high praise indeed.

So, starting with:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album85/1_33_2_A

You shot it as a vertical, but to me the image seems to be the
horizontal juxtaposition of the shadows on the right with the
refreshment stand on the left, possibly with shadows on the vendor in
the stand.  Possibly, the human activity of the customer with the vendor
with the shadows.

Next up:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album85/1_36_1_A

You have found a very nice sculpture and shadow effect.  What doesn't
work is the huge amount of the rest of the world that intrudes.  Think
through the situation: can you move up and back and use a longer lens to
isolate the scene?  What would happen on the opposite end of the day
with the shadows going the other way?  If the terrain only allows this
angle, then is there a period that you can combine the shadows and
people or a dog or some of Graham's blow up geese?  What about shoot
directly up from underneath into a clear sky?

Last:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album85/1_36_5_A

This is an interesting assignment.  The light and texture of the view
will make you work to find the strongest image.  Assuming the tracks are
just under the cloth so that moving forward is not an option then what
would happen if you squared off to the ceiling and the sign to make a
more formal image?  Another possibility would be to include the heads of
passengers waiting for the train.

In summary, you have found some wonderful visual treats, the clay is
spinning on the wheel, you just have to turn the clay into what you want
to make of it.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com