Subject: [Leica] Re: Leveling
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Wed Nov 3 14:49:15 2004

> It's perfect pitch as in when you look at something not tilting
anywhere
> near as much as the leaning tower of pizza you still know it's
leaning.
> Like perfect pitch in music you can be born with it or you can develop
> it
> thought practice.
> I think that might be it.
> Would work on the horizontal as well as vertical.

The cabinet maker I mentioned in my earlier post told me that it was a
matter of the brain learning to acknowledge the input from the eye, a
"zen" kind of thing.  And you're right, Mark.  We can walk into a room
and "know" immediately that a picture is hung out of true, and if you
put a level on it, you will discover that it might not be more than
1/64" in 3 or 4 feet, but the brain recognizes it immediately.  He
taught classes at Hancock Shaker Village and told me that was one of the
reasons the Shakers turned out such beautiful furniture...they
understood the "zen" of proportion and shape.

And, Tina, for all the PS Elements folk, that tip also works in
Elements, using Image > Rotate > Custom, and you then enter a number for
the amount of rotation.  Thanks!!

Ken