Subject: [Leica] Re: Leveling
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Nov 3 14:05:12 2004

On 11/3/04 11:50 AM, "Tina Manley" <images@infoave.net> typed:

> At 02:37 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
>> I find that nearly all my pictures are tilted the same amount.
>> Today while looking in my barbers mirror i found that i tilt my head and
>> neck slightly.
>> I postulate that is were the small tilt comes from.
>> best
>> simon jessurun
>> amsterdam
>
> I do the same thing.  Everything is tilted very slightly to the left
> because I hold my head that way.  I have a grid in the viewfinder of my R8
> that cures that but it's also very easy to fix in Photoshop.  Does
> everybody know about how to use the measure tool to straighten the
> horizon?  It's really neat.
>
> Tina

I use grids for as many cameras as I can for when I want stuff level but I
don't think it's how you hold your head which makes for all this.
Its how you hold your hands and an inner ear pituitary thing.
I'm more than half serious.
There is such a thing called perfect plumb.
Like perfect pitch in music.
It's perfect pitch as in when you look at something not tilting anywhere
near as much as the leaning tower of pizza you still know it's leaning.
Like perfect pitch in music you can be born with it or you can develop it
thought practice.
I think that might be it.
Would work on the horizontal as well as vertical.
Portrait as well as landscape. :)
Good thing for carpenters to have.
Harrison Ford has it.
He is a carpenter. Now as an avocation. Before as a profession.
When he builds a barn; it's straight. Or has one built.
Maybe he can take a level picture with out an architectural grid.

I was very impressed in Williamsburg using the Digilux 2 with that thirds
tic tak toe grid in.
I'll make some out of acetate for other of my cameras I think.

Devinci ize my digital.

Gee I just Goggled the rule of thirds and you're supposed to put stuff on
the lines. I was putting them in the spaces. I'm not sure what to do.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/