Subject: [Leica] Hans Peter Cohn honored by LHSA
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 2 23:07:35 2004

On 11/2/04 9:00 PM, "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net> typed:

> "Gee it seemed it was a lot of putting things together." ............ with
> someone else's direct resources.  usually this gets a guy into the bosses'
> seat, but invariably it also makes the company weaker.
>
> The problem with this type of management is that it makes no high profit.
> Items that are bought and then relabeled and resold, is a low margin
> business.  It is precisley what Leica does NOT need.  It needs to sell high
> margin glass.  Not Panasonic cameras with the Leica name........
>
> Remember, a $2500 50mm F1.4 lens is roughly 8-10 times the sales price of
> the next  most expensive lens of this description.  And all the gnomes in
> Germany, with whatever tools, precision, vacations, etc. do not account for
> that price difference.  It is a real profit maker.
>
> Herr Coenen"s motto should be.... "Make Glass That Sells"! "Make Products
> that Sell Glass!"
>
> Instead of priortizing their next new product, they should be keeping their
> resumes ( CDV) up to date if they expect that the futue of Leica is pretty
> leather on custom made bodies or Panasonic digital or analog cameras with a
> Red Dot.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

No snip this time.

I'm not following why bringing the best glass companies together with the
best camera companies is a negative thing.
I believe quality glass with the new smaller image circles becoming
standardized will yield unexpected benefits in number of areas but more
obviously faster smaller lighter cheaper glass. It's happening already.
We're getting out cake and eating it too.
A win win win deal. Rah rah.

Me I'm happy about the al a cart thing half the people on the lug have been
crying for it for years and now that we've got it I'm the only one on the
list that has said anything positive about it.
Did they think it would be for free?
IF I was running Leica that would be exactly my first idea.

A chicken in every pot.
An Ostrich on any Leica.

Create your own limited edition to the tune of one custom made classic. What
could be better? If I can never afford it I'll just dream. Let the rich
support Leica in the manner in which they'd like to become accustomed. IN
THE meantime I've got the bodies I have and can stick with the over the
counter bodies at hand.
In all the little Leica's I've made and saved with the al a carte thing I've
always left the 75 frame lines out.
Now I'm going to make sure they're left in.

Oh! the "Gnomes from Solms"  was the one I thought of last night.
Or did I really get that from somebody?

The other one was "?Missed the jist.?

I should have worked both of these into posts instead of just spilling the
beans all at once out of context.

You have to ask me first if you want to use these!
I've got a digital watermark on them! :)

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/