Subject: [Leica] Blocked for international traffic
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Nov 2 12:55:21 2004

> I don't think he actually taught Linus. Linus was in Finland, and Andy
> teaches in Holland. Andy wrote a book on operating systems, and wrote
> Minix (Minature Unix) as a teaching tool. It was really pretty neat.

Yes, I worked with Minix (Minux?) for a while. I kind of remember they had
something of a fall-out. Linux killed off Minix, didn't it?

The book was (is) a gem though.

> BTW-early versions of Linux used the Minix file system. And to be
> fair, Linux would not be where it is today without all of the great
> GNU programs from the Free software Foundation.

Neither would Solaris or any of the commercial systems.

I had forgotten about Minix. Thanks for the reminder.
Daniel

Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Blocked for international traffic)
Message from kenf01 at gmail.com (Ken Firestone) ([Leica] Blocked for international traffic)