Subject: [Leica] Blocked for international traffic
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Tue Nov 2 11:59:23 2004

> > I read in the paper this morning that the site:
> >
> > http://www.georgewbush.com
> >
> > blocks out international visitors. I can't get in. Can anyone else from
> > outside the US?
> >
> > Or is it just very very busy? I get the message that I'm "not
> authorized"
> > to visit it.
>
> This was a big story in the geek community about a week ago. Yes they
> are blocking internet protocol addresses that are assigned to networks
> outside of the US. Why? No one seemed to know.

Actually, not quite true - outside N. America (they let the 51st State look
at it, not sure about the 52nd?)

I was reading about the popular www.electoral-vote.com The person behind it
was a mystery until recently. Turns out to be  the guy who taught Linus
"linux" Torvalds and is the inventor of MINIX

He's been experiencing pretty massive denial of service attacks, but he
thanks those who attacked his site yesterday - apparently it provided him
with lots of the data he needed for the research he's doing on preventing
denial of service attacks... (+ the attacks basically failed)

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Blocked for international traffic)