Subject: [Leica] More snaps (Skopar)
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Tue Nov 2 12:12:02 2004

Daniel

Sorry to hear the M did not fare to well.  My M6TTL and R4SP did much
better than I did a few months ago, when I fell off a bridge (I was of
course not paying attention as to where I was stepping) here in Madison
County.  I fell about 4 ft. onto rocks and rolled down the embankment.  I
ended up with lots of bruises and large cuts on my right arm and leg.  The
Tilley saved my head from having much more than a bad headache.  The M6
and R4 had little more than a few scratches, which I was very surprised as
I could hear them banging against each other and the rocks as I tumbled.
So far they are still working very nicely, mine at least, seem to be very
durable.

My wife is giving me a bad time about it now.  She tells me she is going
to put a rope around my waist next month when we are in Germany and Poland
so I will not fall off any mountains, bridges or castles we visit.  On the
other hand she may just let me fall as my insurance is paid up. ;-)

Gene

Well, it turns out that the fall I took damaged the Leica after all. I
tell you, those M bodies are real sissies. You sneeze at them and their
rangefinders go out of whack. They're sturdy cameras ... as long as you
don't need to focus too much.

As it was, I had the 21/4 Skopar on so it didn't matter much.

This is an overview. I was on top of one of the cairns (pre-historic). The
glaciers dumped all the boulders here when they stopped. That heather is
treacherous. You don't really know what is under it.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album40/04v45_0002

The coastal area, plain, is wide and shallow here.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album40/04v45_0003

Anyone wanting to farm the area has to constantly clear the fields of
boulders. They "grow" here. They work themselves up to the surface
constantly. Farmers clear them away and make fences with them.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album40/04v45_0004

I was halfway expecting to see Graham down at the end of the road,
hustling away from the cows.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album40/04v45_0005

Now to find someone to adjust my rangefinder. The screw is a little to
tight for my taste and I don't have a proper screwdriver (you have to do
it at an angle).

Daniel