Subject: [Leica] Tomorrow
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Nov 1 17:05:34 2004

Ummmm...that's not correct at least in California. All poll workers
are paid (not much but they ARE paid). They go to classes and they
make decisions about how to deal with difficulties that require them
to know how things work. They also have backup: someone available via
cell phone and ultimately at the elections department.

They CAN call the police and have standing. Their signatures go into
the record of the election and they certify that the ballots have been
properly handled. They can enforce the ban on electioneering within
100 feet of the polling place.

The police, however, would be who was called if there was any trouble.
Poll workers are NOT armed and are NOT encouraged to engage in
anything physical.

Poll workers are also required to go through a training session that
involves a detailed understanding of the voting process - NOT a
trivial thing. This summer I helped make a poll worker's training
video used here in Yolo County. It's an involved and thoughtful
process. I don't have the most recent version but I'd be happy to make
 a copy of the old one and send it to anyone who is really interested.

Adam