Subject: [Leica] Genuine Fractals-any good?
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Wed Oct 27 03:00:36 2004

Hi Frank,
just a bit of lateral thinking - what would happen if there was (is
there perhaps?) a method of limited
randomisation or random shifting of pixels within a defined grid? Or is
this what happens with grain emulation
in PS?. Would we get a digital result undistinguishable from analogue?
I'm thinking on the basis of experience with the many interpolation,
noise reduction and signal enhancement processes used
in geophysical processing (seismic data). Which, when we get down to it,
is only another form of signal processing just
like image manipulation. For example we distinguish between random
(digital noise/hiss) and ordered (artefacts) interference in seismic
data, and all data are in more or less regularly sampled 2 or 3D
coordinate systems, surely there must be some applications also
applicable to photography.
An interesting test would be to take identical images with digital and
analogue and subtract one from the other
to enable us to see exactly what and where the differences are. Assuming
a digital resolution of the same order as the grain density on film it
is conceivable that the analogue negative added to the digital positive
would cancel out
those locations where there is data correspondence (eg positive value +
corresponding negative value = zero)
and leave us with a "noise image" from which a function for noise
reduction or signal enhancement could be
extracted with reasonable ease.
Either removing the digital "fingerprint" or adding the analogue fingerpint
to an image to "analog-ise" any digital data set. Taken further, this
could be used to give the film typical
appearance and character for any film type to a digital image - Fuji,
Kodak whatever.

Sorry to waffle on about what's probably of no practical use at all, but
who knows.........
Douglas