Subject: [Leica] Recent Leica 90/2.8 - Seeking Comments and Advice
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 06:21:05 2004

Scott

I have the Thin Tele Elmarit 90/2.8 lens, which is light compared to the
rest of the bunch.  Once I had it cleaned by Sherry, it performs quite
nice.  You can get this version for a song pretty easily.

Gene

Thanks for all the comments. Glad to hear that at least one Nikkor
105/2.5 user compares the 90/2.8 favorably, but sorry to hear we
have one vote for a sterile fingerprint. I'll be looking at more sample
images in the future.

Also sorry to hear about the weight. OTOH, having to stick the
Nikon glass as well as my FM3a in my bag alongside my Leica
gear is pretty heavy too.  Reducing this weight is probably my
main reason for looking for a good M mount 90mm lens.

Is there a decent M mount, f2.8 or better 90mm that weighs
less?  What about the CV offering?  Although I'm already bummed
about the speed of that lens :-)

B.D. and Mark's counsel is perhaps the path of least risk and
greatest economy.  I am pretty happy with my Nikon 85+105
+135 lenses.  Love my FM3a too.   DOF preview comes in
handy with my teles.

I find that the 85/1.8 AFD does produce very hexagonal OOF highlights,
but it's very, very sharp (in that clinical Nikon way).  It was pretty
inexpensive as well.  I've had some serious 85/1.4 AFD lust a few
months back. Stellar lens by all accounts I'm aware of.   Maybe
I'll pick one of those up and utilize the Leica for 50mm and shorter
focal lengths.

Again, many thanks.

Scott