Subject: [Leica] Henning's RD 1 report
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Oct 20 18:32:51 2004

At 7:14 AM +0800 10/21/04, Howard Cummer wrote:
>Hi Luggers,
>First a special thanks to Henning for his comments on his RD1 test
>drive. As reported here previously the Epson RAW plug in has
>programming to reduce vignetting on all lenses from 12mm all the way
>up to 90mm. You just select the focal length and click on it and
>edge vignetting is gone. Please see
>
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=434937
>
>for an example with my 15mm heliar.

Howard is right; with the Epson RAW plug-in you can compensate for
vignetting, but at the expense of noise and dynamic range. What is
actually happening is that the corners are being compensated after
being severely underexposed. Anybody who has used a digital camera
knows that RAW files have a fairly good dynamic range, but if they
are underexposed by more than 2 stops the image is never as good as
it could be. With the lenses tested, the corners are sometimes more
than 3 stops underexposed. The corners then show lots of noise and
appear muddy. I didn't use this RAW compensating option much as I
wanted to see what the camera/lens combinations could do on their
own. Photoshop Camera RAW has its own anti-vignetting function built
in for moderate compensation, up to about 2 stops. Also, this
compensation does not work with jpg files with the Epson software,
which is reasonable as the compensation necessary is too severe to be
handled by any method for these types of files with more limited
dynamic range.

In RAW mode the camera is often not able to keep up with shooting,
even though the fastest you can shoot is severely limited by the wind
lever.