Subject: [Leica] Weekend R-D1 photos
From: thlrlgrp at mac.com (Mike Cahill)
Date: Wed Oct 20 07:41:34 2004

On 10/20/04 10:10 AM, "Daniel Ridings" <daniel.ridings@edd.uio.no> wrote:

>> Helps to post the URL:
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/thlrlgrp/PhotoAlbum7.html
>
> Thanks, I was waiting patiently for that.
>
> Something strikes me. It seems that digital lends itself (or encourages)
> more static shots. Landscapes, careful compositions and the like. Your
> last two shots disprove me and I'm insinuating anything about your shots
> so much as the way I react myself. Perhaps it's because we don't know the
> cameras inside and out that we set things up, take careful exposure, take
> our time. Not as many grab shots. In a way, it's more difficult (unless
> you have a SLR or a good viewfinder). Stretching out the arms to frame a
> shot can be disturbing.
>
> Anyway, thanks for yours!
>
> Best,
> Daniel

You make a good point, Daniel.  I find I like working with rangefinders
precisely because it make me think about composition, exposure etc.,
possibly the exact opposite of others on the list.  Most of these images
were taken slowly, the accuracy of the viewfinder is somewhat dubious as
suggested elsewhere on this list, but I found that using the 3E didn't pose
a problem.  The VC lenses were infinitely worse when it came to focusing
than the Leica glass.  Don't ask me why.  The best digital I own, a Canon
1Ds, is also the best point and shoot I own.  Twist on a 28-135 zoom and
snap away. The shots of the glassblowers were taken to see how the camera
performs at high speed in limited light. It did quite well.

What impressed me about the Epson is the visual quality of the images.  I
find the look very much like paintings.  You really can't appreciate the
quality on the web.  I printed several of these on my Epson 4000 and the
prints are very impressive.

I also printed similar shots take with the 1Ds and they are staggering in
their detail and color rendition.  By far the best non-medium format digital
I have ever used.

If anyone on the list wants, I can post the high-res for download and
comparison.

MC