Subject: [Leica] Re: Future R Plan
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Oct 17 18:51:45 2004

> I'm all for people having a choice. But I think that Canon SLRs and just
> about everything digital is putting the squeeze on Leica, not Stephen
> Gandy selling cameras and lenses out of the guest bedroom. I, for one,
> like the idea of fewer middlemen. Now, when the Zeiss Ikon comes out,
> you'll have Cosina, Zeiss, Hasselblad, and B&H making a profit before it
> lands in the customer's hands. Hmmm....too many middlemen! ;-)
>
> Jeffery Smith
> New Orleans, LA

And Stephan Gandy's site he has in length for a few years now a section on
the "Rangefinder Renaissance".
When I first joined the LUG 35mm rangefinder photography was Leica
photography. We were standing along in the field feeling like we needed a
butterfly net.
We welcomed the Contax G piece of junk that is was or is (do they still make
it?) as our rangefinder stance was substantiated. No we were not nuts. There
were other 35mm rangefinder cameras now. Rangefinder cameras became more a
recognized modern reality.

Strangely enough there were already choices in medium format rangefinder a
fraction of any rangefinder 35mm niche market that there ever was!

You mention Rangefinder cameras now to a novice and they have a clue right
off what you are talking about.
It's not like you are being camera obsurea.!:)

The "Rangefinder Renaissance" has been nothing but an affirmation for the
Leica M system and good for it in every way and every day.
People talk of it as if it's been it's down fall.
I see quite the opposite.

Buy a Leica and shoot with a new Zeiss made in German wide angle. (or old
Schneider). A Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH the best lens in the history of the
modern time warp continuum. And I don't know whose tele there are plenty of
options. Probably from Canon who I'm sure are about to announce themselves
into the Leica M mount market. That would be nice.
Its like shooting with a view camera almost as a far as choices go!

And have a digital body from either Epson or Leica to add on to your myriad
film body options.
>From all over the world...
Not just Bavaria.

Mark Rabiner