Subject: [Leica] Re: Future R Plan
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Oct 17 01:41:25 2004

On 10/16/04 6:52 PM, "Stephen Gandy" <leicanikon@earthlink.net> typed:

> a lot of Nikon shooters use M too.  it's not an either or world.
>
> if Leica can't justify keeping trained staff and has to lay them off in
> these slack times, I have a difficult time believing Leica can find the
> funds to develop a new modern AF SLR.  even if they did, every new Leica
> SLR design since day one in 1964 has  only been 10 to 20 years behind the
> best current designs from Nikon or Canon.   Leica needs to admit its own
> failures and move on to survive.
>
> I believe from a profit  standpoint, it is smarter and far more cost
> effective for Leica to just license the R mount for already in production
> digital cameras, and possibly a new generation of AF Leica glass in a new
> mount with those partners.  So a Sigma or Fujica or Kodak does not have
> the build quality of a R9.  so what?  in three years a digital SLR is a
> doorstop anyway.
>
> Leica has to keep making cameras and lenses at a profit,  not investing
> precious capital into dead ends which won't generate a profitable return.
> So 100 shooters pop for the $6,000 digital R9 back.  big deal.  with the
> ever changing world of digital imaging, just by the time it catches on, it
> will be outdated, and a lost investment.
>
> granted, these are all guesses.  but the fact is, that what Leica has been
> doing with its SLR lineup and precious investment capital just has not
> worked out financially over its entire 40 year R history.  it's time to
> wake up and think differently, or there will not be a Leica as we know it.
>
> Stephen Gandy

Not everyone is as convinced of the non viability of Leica R bodies as the
guy who is doing a booming business pushing Leica R to Canon adaptors.
NOT selling Leica bodies.
NOT selling Leica glass either.

NON Leica bodies for Leica glass.
NON Leica glass for Leica bodies.

It's the beast 666 antiLeica!

I believe such commercial stance should be at least alluded to in a post
like this.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon