Subject: [Leica] Re: Future R Plan
From: jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sun Oct 17 15:09:53 2004

I don't think that Voigtlander sales are necessarily hurting Leica. I
would bet that much of the Voigtlander market is for those just entering
rangefinder territory who aren't going to drop $2,500 for a body and
another $1,200 - $2,000 for a lens. If Voigtlander were not available,
they would be buying used Leica (which benefits DAG and Sherry...I hope
that doesn't make them anti-Leica too). Ultimately, truly satisfied and
productive Voigtlander users start buying Leica glass of some kind, and
maybe a Leica body or two.

I'm all for people having a choice. But I think that Canon SLRs and just
about everything digital is putting the squeeze on Leica, not Stephen
Gandy selling cameras and lenses out of the guest bedroom. I, for one,
like the idea of fewer middlemen. Now, when the Zeiss Ikon comes out,
you'll have Cosina, Zeiss, Hasselblad, and B&H making a profit before it
lands in the customer's hands. Hmmm....too many middlemen! ;-)

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA