Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri Oct 15 19:00:22 2004

on 10/15/04 6:31 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:

> I don't see what's so rocket science about making a digital body or back
> for
> an existing camera system to keep that system marketable.

Exactly!  When a manufacturer has a weak-performing product line the choices
include abandonment (B.D. and Gandy) and re-investment (Leica's approach to
the R).  If there were absolutely no hope of the R line becoming profitable
then Leica's move would be foolhardy.  As I see it a digital back for the R8
and R9 gives Leica a unique product, not another "me too" button-cluttered
AF DSLR with crap for a viewfinder.  Whether this back creates enough
demand for the system to be profitable remains to be seen.  IMHO the R8/R9
plus digital back is refereshingly distinctive in the DSLR market.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (feli) ([Leica] Digital "crop factor")