Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Thu Oct 14 13:44:22 2004

"B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Excellent point, Frank. I think all this crop factor talk comes from the
> fact that the 35 mm format has been so ubiquitous that it is the only
> format most people know - and therefore those marketing digital cameras
> feel they have to provide a comparison of their formats to 35.

Or perhaps because the cropped format only uses a portion of the image
circle produced by existing lenses.  If you're starting from scratch with a
totally new system then the crop factor is meaningless but if you like the
speed and angular coverage of your 35 'lux ASPH the crop factor is a PITA.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Digital "crop factor")