Subject: [Leica] Genuine Fractals-any good?
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Oct 13 22:31:10 2004

Frank,

That may be. But if the prospective client requires a certain file size
and explicitly suggests upsampling using a certain method if the file
size is below the minimum, then you have to do as they say if you want
to have a chance at making sales.

When I scan a color slide with my Nikon LS-2000 I get a 35-40 MB TIFF
file as the result; similarly when I convert a RAW image from my Canon
10D to TIFF. Both at 16 bits. Since the client wants 48 MB at 8 bits, I
can either buy one of the full frame Canon DSLRs and a new scanner at a
cost of several thousand EUR, or I can try upsampling. Of course it
would be preferable to capture a large enough image to begin with, but
if in the client's eyes upsampling is acceptable, then I am not going to
be religious about it--I will just do it.

Thanks to all who replied with helpful suggestions, as always the LUG
comes through for me!

Nathan